Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Our Daily Bread: Zucchini Bread

Our family recently welcomed to the world our third little baby and we have been thoroughly enjoying her! The familiar saying that a new baby always brings a loaf of bread under its arms has been all too true in our case! We have been the recipients of an outpouring of generosity from family and friends in the form of meals…and more often than not, these meals have included a loaf of bread!


As I am now easing my way back into the real world of cooking and baking after so many weeks of generosity, I have decided that my return to bread making should be in the form of a quick bread! I have tried many different recipes for zucchini bread, and I think this is my favorite. It is a great way to use the summer vegetable, and the sugar always sweetens the deal for the children! I hope you all enjoy it as much as our family did this morning for breakfast!


Zucchini Bread

3 eggs

1 cup vegetable oil

1 cup sugar

2 cups grated zucchini

2 teaspoons vanilla

3 cups flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

3 teaspoons cinnamon

¼ teaspoon baking powder

1 cup raisins

1 cup chopped walnuts


Beat eggs until foamy. Add next 4 ingredients and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.


Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.Bake at 325° for 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.

Cool for 15 minutes before removing from the pans.


My husband commented just last night as I was preparing the breads “Wow, you haven’t used yeast in a long time...” I think it is time to roll up my sleeves and tie my apron! Stay tuned for more bread recipes! After all, baking for my family is loving my family…what a wonderful life I live!

No comments:

Post a Comment